Friday, June 10, 2011

Yellow Blossoms

I love nature. I love nature so much that last month I found a tree branch, spray painted it, and hung it up in my living room. Remember, though, how it was missing something so I whipped up some origami leaves? They were nice for a couple weeks, but then the bold, modernism made me tired so I started looking for other branch-sprucing options.  With my mind focused on flowers, both real and otherwise, this week, I decided to try my hand at paper flowers. We needed something pretty, summery, and colorful to replace the leaves and I think I found them!


I started out with some scrap cardstock and a variety of fun scissors.


Drawing a spiral, I cut it out. I got a little experimental with the scalloped scissors.  I decided I'd try a variety of made up flower techniques to see what I liked and didn't like.


After cutting out the spiral, I took the outer end piece and  started rolling. I tried the inner end piece and that didn't work very well...so stick with the outer end.


I found that if I rolled it tightly and then gently let it go when I finished, the flower blossomed very nicely


I also took a long strip of paper and cut it into fringe to roll up.



Then I used my pencil to curl the fringe down and make into a flower-like shape.


Falling in love with all the flowers I couldn't pick my favorite style so I did something bold. I decided to use them all. I know, I know. A branch with three different flowers? Let's see how it looks.


I like the yellow against the green and it's nice to bring in some new color to the blue and greens of the living room.


 Much better than those leaves! Don't worry, I saved them and may bring them back out in the fall. I'm liking the simplicity of the small yellow blooms...what do you think?

14 comments:

S said...

LOVE IT! I had seen the spiral method of making rosettes, but (like you) I started rolling from the middle outward and it didn't look right. Thanks for clarifying! Have a great weekend!

Rhiannon said...

gorgeous! love the spiral ones!

Rebbie said...

I like it a lot. The yellow looks nice with that green.

Hello Jessica Lynn said...

WOW!! Very neat!!

I am blog hopping today and I am happy to stop by your blog!!

Please stop by either or both of my blogs (and become a follower if you aren't one already):

So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

Jessicas Lil Corner is where I blog about family and life at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

Have a Happy Friday and a blessed weekend! :0)

Denise said...

New follower here from Boost My Blog. I love people like you who can 'create' things since I cannot make a thing. I will enjoy sitting back and watching you. I hope you will follow me back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I can be found in facebook too http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and twitter @DeniseLillaRose If you like/follow me there I will do the same for you. When you stop by my blog, please check out my kind of fashion (hair jewelry).

Debbie Cluff said...

HOw fun is this! I totally made a tree at the bottom of my basement stairs... painted some birds and needed some flowers. You rock. Visit me anytime at twoprincessesandoneprince.blogspot.com

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Very clever and such a neat look.

Dee
Your new follower

Antonella said...

Great tutorials! I am a quiller and love to see more people out there sharing the quilling! I am stopping by from the Marvelously Messy Linky Party, I've linked up too.
Hugs, antonella :-)

Jill said...

Love them all! Thanks for the quick and easy tutorial :)

AsylumTanya said...

Very pretty flowers! Thanks for sharing the how-to!

Unknown said...

They are lovely flowers and such a good way to bring colours indoors (I'm thinking winter bouquets)

New follower from DIY showoff linky

Please pop by and say hello.

Craft and Cupcakes

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Hi,this is amazing n cute :)

Unknown said...

Love that bright yellow. I just recently hosted a yellow baby shower and those rosettes would have been perfect!!

Unknown said...

You newest follower here. Just wanted to say hi, and ask you to drop by my my blog sometime. I love the flowers and what you did with them! I might have to borrow your idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...