Monday, June 6, 2011

A Tin Man in the Garden

As the thermometer has been inching up, I've been enjoying our balcony more and more! We've filled it with plants, a homemade bench, and a sassy chandelier and absolutely love eating meals and reading out there in the evenings.


I did go a little crazy in my seed planting (it was my first time planting seeds, after all) and my plants have grown out of control.  Hating to weed out (i.e. kill) some of the plants that are crowding my pots, I decided to just repot some of them.  Enter my need to find some new planters.  I'm sure you can guess that I upcycled some piece of household trash!

via

After glancing around the house for containers of some kind, I happened upon the canned tomatoes I was using to make spaghetti sauce.


A light spray with some spray paint plus some punched holes in the bottom and voila!  Some pretty, upcycled, free pots that are now housing my out of control basil.


I'm loving these little pots and look forward to adding more as I need to.  Different foods and brands have different rib patterns and I think an entire container garden of mix-matched tin cans would be funky and fun.  How I wish I had thought of this before purchasing all these other pots!


Stay tuned for some shots of our balcony and entire garden tomorrow!

9 comments:

LivingSoAbundantly said...

I like the paint colors you chose. Sweet basil is my favorite! Way to upcycle!

Jen @ My Own Road said...

I love upcycles, this is a great idea!I might have to start a little herb garden on my back porch :)

Ashleigh@Sincerely said...

These are so cute! I want to grow some herbs in my kitchen in my new apartment and these would be perfect! Thanks for the idea :)

Mommy Minded said...

love the colors!

Megan
mommyminded.blogspot.com

Yes said...

What a great idea! I love it. :)

Chalkboard paint would be fun, too.

Rebbie said...

Pretty! What are you going to do with all that basil?

jandjhome said...

Very cute. I love that combination of colors.

Leah said...

Great idea, I might try this - pots get expensive FAST and these are so cute.

hire a web programmer said...

Nice ideas. I will also apply the same for my sweet home. Thanks for the post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...