Thursday, June 16, 2011

DIY Art by the Inartistic

Yesterday I was having a conversation about some of the art I've shown on the blog.  While gathering and collecting enough art for our gallery wall, we had to get creative when it came to accumulating pieces that were personal and budget-friendly.  John and I love art and have very similar tastes in paintings, unfortunately we don't have the wallet that reflects artistic tastes. We are lucky to have several amazing pieces of art hanging in our home - our very first watercolor splurge that we purchased on our honeymoon to remember it by, a piece painted for us as a gift, and a wonderful little watercolor also purchased for us as a gift.

When it came to growing our collection and creating a gallery wall of photos, art, and sentimental tidbits, we knew we couldn't continue to splurge and would have to find a way to bring art that we loved into a budget-friendly project.  I thought I'd show some of our favorite framed pieces that we made for less than $.50 each and with little required artistic ability.

There are some diy art projects that I've seen that just blow me away - and also make me feel inadequate and lacking in the artistic department. My hope is that you'll see that all you need is a ruler, perhaps some scissors to make a stencil and you can have some beautiful art. 



I wrote about this LOVE piece here where I explained how I traced the LOVE off the computer and used it as a stencil to make something simple, but pretty.


I made this round frame during my styrofoam upcycle project but filled it with a pretty little bird I found on google images and printed off.


This frame is also handmade out of cardboard and filled with a silhouette of our family that I drew.


 Stryofoam also helped to make this patterned H.


I found this cute frame at Goodwill, painted it, and decided to fill it with a simple pencil drawing.  Looking around google images once again for inspiration. This time, however, I drew it myself but I'm sure it would look just as well printed out.


During a day trip to the beach I collected these sweet, smooth stones from the sand. When I got home I was struck by the romantic gray and whites and glued them to a piece of cardstock. Simple.

So, that is how a very inartistic person such as myself created many pieces of art.

8 comments:

rebekah said...

That is a great idea! Very pretty.

Angela said...

Very well done! This would be perfect for my linky party Simply Creative over at 365 days to Simplicity. Wanna link up?

Angela
http://365days2simplicity.blogspot.com/2011/06/in-celebration-of-almost-hitting-100.html

Rebbie said...

Simple but beautiful and personal. I especially love the chipmunk that you drew.

Jessica said...

These are all great! Very inspiring - I feel like I need to get some frames together and create some homemade art now. Love your little chipmunk :)

Amber said...

If you love watercolor paintings, I would be happy to work on a couple pieces for you. Let me know what you and John like in the way of subject matter and style. Watercolor is my favorite medium to work with! :)

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

They all look great! Fabulous job. Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party.

Angie Holden said...

Love that squirrel!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just hopped over to your web site via StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would normally read, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thanks for creating something worth reading.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...