Friday, June 17, 2011

Quilt Passions and Overconfidence

via Diary of a Quilter

Lately I've been drooling over handmade quilts. I'm not sure what has started my obsession but I do know every day I find myself drawn to new patterns and colorful fabrics. There is a conversation that takes place in my head regularly that consists of convincing myself all I need to be able to do is sew squares together in straight lines and that if I slowed my sewing down significantly, I bet I could even sew a straight line on the sewing machine. I think I've pretty much convinced myself of this now and I'm ready to start making some decisions about my future handmade quilt.

via pinterest

I thought I'd share some of my favorite quilts I've discovered from around the web - you know the ones that cause my heart to wildly thump and my unfounded beliefs in my quilting abilities to grow.

via Crafty Blossom

I've already started trying to choose a color palette (I have narrowed down about, oh, 50 options to 25 options). 

via Moda Bake Shop

Despite my overly optimistic confidence regarding my quilting abilities, I am aware that some of these patterns are harder than others. Don't worry though - that little voice has all but convinced me that I can accomplish all of these and more. I have visions of quilts on every bed, baskets of quilts in the corner, and winter snuggling in a quilt by the fireplace. 

via Moda Bake Shop

So, which one is your favorite? I'm taking votes as to which one I should attempt to make this summer and I need your help narrowing down the possibilities. Oh, and if any of you would like to send some helpful hints my way, this overly confident novice sewer would greatly appreciate it.

8 comments:

michelle@decorandthedog said...

Ooo, I like them all. Photos 2 and 3 might be the easiest. I'm attempting this pattern now... http://pinterest.com/pin/41053943/
If only I could cut straight!! Good luck!

Rebbie said...

Hint #1: Call your grandmother. Hint #2: Ask her to walk you through the "Quilt in a Day" pattern. It's easy and teaches you all the basics. Plus, you get a quilt in a day.

Kim@NewlyWoodwards said...

Just lovely! I'd recommend #2 for a first quilt, it's the simplest of the patterns and probably the best for instant gratification. I like to make something a little more straightforward for my first try at something. You'll love quilting. It's one of my favorite things!

Kim@NewlyWoodwards said...

I also put a few tips on a relatively recent post about quilting. It has some helpful books, etc. Maybe it would be useful for you - http://www.newlywoodwards.com/2011/04/quilted-table-topper-and-few-words-on.html

Unknown said...

Ouh.. the one via Crafty blossom is beautiful! Go check out http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/
I found her blog when I was frustrated with not being able to find a nice red & black blanket for our bed and decided I had to make a quilt (I had no clue what batting was at this point, let alone a fat quarter). She has a step by step that is super easy to follow.

If you find a way to get over the whole "sewing straight lines" inability, please oh please let me know. Same with cutting in straight lines! :)

Goodluck!

Mindy said...

I'm in love with the first one, but I think the second and third would be better as a first attempt. I made one years ago and my only advise is to make sure your stitches are tight. I may or may not have learned that the hard way.

Ginger Snaps said...

Love your blog. New follower. I have a craft blog with a link party on Wednesdays...would love to have you drop by & link up sometime. :)Would love a follow back at gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend.

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Banaghaisge said...

Kristen, just get in there and start sewing!!! If you can sew 3" in a straight line then you can make a quilt. Also, have you got a rotary cutter, ruler and mat? Essential equipment (as well as a sewing machine) for making a quilt!
My Pinterest link for quilts is http://pinterest.com/auntiequiltie/my-quiltings-and-other-sewings/
This company has free shipping for orders (usually) more than $50 if you are in the States: http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/
Also, if you get charm squares (they come precut in 5" squares) and draw a line form corner to corner, and then put two contrasting squares together, sew 1/4" each side of the line (two seams) and then cut apart on the line you will have Half Square Triangles (HST). You can do HEAPS with HST to make cute quilts. Even the points on stars... AND you can also start with BIG squares adn just make cushions or even a quilt with just four big HST. Check out my blog for some ideas too. Good luck - it is a lovely thign to sleep under a quilt you have made. Ask me anytime for info, happy to give cyber classes. Hugs from Jasmine Down Under.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...