Thursday, July 14, 2011

Tools Make the DIYer

With the right tools, not only can you make all of your DIY dreams come true but you can also do it in a fraction of the time.  While I have dreams of filling a shed with every power tool my wife would let me purchase, right now we simply do not have the room for them.  However this means I either have to borrow the tool from a friend, or simply own a couple of the best and most versatile tools for any job. 

I have put together a list of the 5 most important tools one can have as a DIYer.  Not only have these tools allowed me to accomplish most of the things my wife asks me to do but they cost very little money.  Plus they pay for themselves with the time and energy saved. 

via


#1 Cordless drill
If you do not own a cordless drill by now then do your self a favor and when you are finished reading this, GO PURCHASE ONE!  I think I use mine every other day.







via

  #2 A Decent Hammer
Trust me there is such a thing as a bad hammer.  You won't know it until you pick up a GREAT hammer. 









via

#3 Hacksaw
Whether you need to cut PVC, galvanized pipe, copper, a stripped screw, anything, a hacksaw can get the job done.  You can even use it to cut very small pieces of wood although I would not use it for wood that is very thick as you will be there for a long time.  You can purchase one under $10 and replacement blades are much cheaper. 





via

#4 Electric sander
At just under $30, this little guy will save your wrists from aching after sanding your dresser before refinishing it. 



via

#5 A good Multi-tool
Just like Les Stroud, I never leave home without it!







via

A close runner up would have to be my laser level.  This tool has helped keep many of our pictures in line and level on the wall as well as make sure shelves and tables that we build are level.









 Did I miss anything?  Do you have a different list of essential tools?

 - JOHN

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Good tips! I would also add a nail gun and electric spray painter if they apply to what you're doing. Both make a HUGE difference if you have a large project. We've done it the hard way and then bought those things to make life SO much easier!

Mike @ JustFindIt4U said...

New GFC follower from the Stumble hop. I couldn't find a Stumble button anywhere, am I missing it? Great article, I practically live with my cordless drill by my side.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I love my cordless drill/driver that I nicknamed Mommy's Little Helper but I just upgraded my corded drill because I sometimes do projects that quickly drain the batteries of my cordless.

Laura O in AK said...

Great list! My most important 'tool' is my husband :o)

Stumbled your post via the hop. Mine is at http://www.daybydayinourworld.com/2011/07/movie-marathon-option-2-star-wars.html

Rebbie said...

I love my little screwdriver with interchangeable heads and I use it all the time. I've even been known to use it as a hammer if I'm feeling too lazy to walk back out to the garage to get a real one.

Keenly Kristin said...

Hahaha @ Hacksaw Jim Duggan!

Stumbled you...my post is: http://keenlykristin.com/2011/07/nutrisystem-week-12-going-strong-and-in-love/

Thanks for linking up!
Kristin :)

Mama.Mommy.Mom. said...

I love DIY'ing, I just wish I had the time and resources (read: money) to do it! And a hack saw IS an absolute 'must-have'.

I stumbled you and my post is http://www.mamamommymom.com/2011/07/greek-inspired-pasta-salad.html if you want to stumble back!

Jamie @ http://www.mamamommymom.com
http://www.facebook.com/mamamommymom
http://www.twitter.com/mamamommymom

Seafood Recipes said...

Thanks for sharing thhis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...