Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer Fireplace Makeovers


The fireplace tends to be overlooked in the sultry summer months, at least mine use to be.  During the cold autumn and winter months it is filled with glowing embers, crackling logs, and promises of cozy evenings.  In the summer, however, my fireplace tended to look and feel like a big, black empty hole.  This spring, when I cleaned out the ashes and washed down the fireplace, I decided to bring joy to the could-be black, empty hole of a summer fireplace.


Having leftover wood from last winter, I decided to put some in the fireplace and then draped them with globe lights. In the evenings, it adds coziness and provides an unexpected focal point.  I've also placed several plants near the fireplace to bring in some green into the space (and because I am up to my ears in houseplants).


via

A collection of tall and beautiful vases brings a touch of elegance to anyone's fireplace. Here tall and slender shapes bring interest to the small, square frames, vases on the mantel, and side table. A great way to show off some flowers from your garden - just be careful of kids and pets.

via


This is my favorite fireplace decoration.  You know all about my love of sticks (you can read a little about it here or here) and this is a great way to add texture, nature, and warm color to a room.  I've also seen birch branches used which is also beautiful.

via

Candles are a traditional way to bring light and warmth to a cold fireplace. Interest is added when you bring in varying heights of candles and many people use candelabras.  In a sense, candles allows fire to be burned all year long and gives those with non-working fireplaces a way to enjoy the warmth and firelight.

via

Greenery and plants are a great way to summer-ize a fireplace. I like the juxtaposition of a winter-loving fireplace playing home to summer plants. Don't forget to add varying heights with the incorporation of some small stools or plant stands.

via

I love this fireplace stuffed full of blooms...I'm picturing baby's breath or hydrangeas. Notice that it provides a little interest but allows the mantle to really shine. 

What have you done to summer-ize your fireplaces?

9 comments:

Rebbie said...

Great ideas! I need to do something with my foam-stuffed fireplace. Your sister found a great idea to cut a piece of wood to fit in the hole and paint it with chalkboard paint.

Growing Up Gardner said...

new follower from wandering wed.

love a white fireplace!
http://growingupgardner4.blogspot.com

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Very pretty decorating! Thanks for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

Everyday Art said...

i don't have a fireplace, but hopefullt someday I'll use these ideas. Sooo fun! Thanks for stopping by Everyday Art. I love your blog. We're your newest followers!

Gas fires northampton said...

It’s really nice post. I would like to appreciate your job and would like to tell to my friends.Gas fires northampton

Nichole said...

Can I also do the same to Jetmaster fireplaces? When its summer, I would want to decorate something to my fireplace area and would need some advice.

Mould Treatment said...

You do it on summer time, so does it mean that when winter will come you will be decorating the place again? Just wondering what would it look like the next time.

Unknown said...

www0912
canada goose outlet
jordan shoes
adidas yeezy
clarks shoes
prada shoes
canada goose outlet
christian louboutin outlet
ugg boots
north face
supreme clothing



yanmaneee said...

hermes birkin
zx flux
moncler jacket
louboutin shoes
nike air max 97
nike air max 2017
jordan 6
longchamp
michael kors outlet online
nike huarache

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...