Friday, March 11, 2011

Painted Furniture Eye Candy

Over the past couple months, I have been enjoying the sense of accomplishment I gain when I take something old, ho hum, or imperfect and make it new, unique, and perfect for me and my house.  As a new DIY-er, I am experimenting and learning with smaller things such as Goodwill frames, spice jars, and flower pots.

Despite the intimidation, I find myself drawn to the fabulous painted dressers, end tables, and book shelves bloggers are posting.  Oh, the colors, the boldness, the perfect before and after contrast make my heart leap for joy. I have been telling myself it's too soon, still, to try something so large and intimidating. I should stay small and focus on my spray painting skills (which need help - why does everything get bubbly??).  I can't help it, though. I keep finding my eyes wandering.

Centsational Girl is the queen of pretty painted eye candy. She transforms the ugly into the beautiful and it's breathtaking.
found at Centsational Girl

Impatiently Praying for Patience just painted this amazingly fun side table. I'm loving the little knobs she added...they pop against that green!
found at Impatiently Praying for Patience

This table tugs at me every time I glance it's way. We have a kitchen table that is almost identical, except it's an orangey-brownish finish and gross. Lilyfield Life has shown me that I could fall in love with my table again...
found at Lilyfield Life
Since every piece of our furniture is a craigslist find, nothing matches and everything is in need of beautification.  In our bedroom we have white, black, and three shades of brown. In our living room we also have three shades of brown and black.  Have I mentioned all the browns are nasty orange-brown shades? Yuck!

My list of furniture that is crying out to be painted or refinished includes:
  • Bedside tables - I'd like a gray-blue or while
  • Dressers - Should they match the bedside tables?
  • Living room end tables - White!!!!
  • Kitchen table - See above photo. Enough said.
  • TV console - White or light blue
Any tips? Suggestions? Failures or successes you'd like to share?

4 comments:

Rebbie said...

I have no tips or suggestions, but I do have an ugly gold china cabinet that I'd like you to come practice on. White please.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

RAINBOW. Enough said.
Love,
Your Favorite Sister

Fiona, Lilyfield Life said...

hi Kristen - thanks for commenting on my table and posting it here. I think you should just go for it with the painting of your furniture. It makes a huge difference. I don't have a spray gun. I paint all my stuff by hand and it turns out just fine. Why don't you do the same that i did with your pedestal table. this one was also that 1970s yellow wood colour. I always sand and prime my pieces first and then i sanded and stained the top. The worst that can happen is that you have to sand it back and try again.
My husband always says I'm talented but I think instead it's really that I'm brave.
good luck!
cheers Fiona
http://lilyfieldlife.blogspot.com/

Kristen said...

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, Fiona! I think you're right - you just have to be brave and do it. Perhaps this weekend when the weather is sunny and warm....I'll let you know what happens!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...