Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree

My mother taught me everything I know about being crafty and creative.  Growing up she always had fun activities for us to do such as ironing crayon shavings between wax paper, cutting out snowflakes, and sculpting with play dough. In fact, she is the most artistically crafty person I know - somehow her snowflakes turn out better than I could imagine, her dyed Easter eggs are more vibrant that the sun, and her drawings are more beautiful than real life.


As a child, I wore mostly homemade clothes; they were beautiful and I wish I still had them. She decorated our house beautifully with homemade wreaths, hand quilted quilts, and sweet knick knacks.  I am slowly following in my mother's footsteps but am still in awe of her skills: sewing, knitting, crocheting, drawing....


Enough boasting about how great my mother is.  I simply wanted to share her latest creation she whipped up this weekend. 

For those wondering the details of making a yarn wreath, here is what my mother shared:
          "It used about half of a skein of cheapy Lion Brand Homespun. 
          I just used one of those plastic wrapped straw wreaths (the plastic
          was helpful to keep it from snagging during the wrapping.)  And 
          I used the squares of felt from the craft section that come in lots 
          of colors. You can get one big flower and one or two little flowers 
          from each square."

3 comments:

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

I love that wreath and the blue hues. Cheers

Unknown said...

I'm amazed by your mother's skills too. You should see what she made me for my birthday!

Love your wreath... you rock.

Love
Buffie

Amber said...

that wreath is beautiful! I love making wreaths but I've only done them for the holidays. maybe i'll try an "everyday" wreath like this to hang on our front door!;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...