Friday, April 15, 2011

Appliqued Bird Pillow

appliqued pillow bird

Yes, you are looking at my brand new sewing machine!!! I received a big box in the mail in February and when I opened it, I was surprised with this amazing sewing machine. I've always loved sewing things - if I can't find a cheap, beautiful pillow or blanket, I have no problem just making my own...however without a sewing machine I spent many sad nights sewing by hand. This little machine will soon become my best friend - a pillow that use to take me 5 hours to sew by hand I can now complete in about 30 minutes.

sew pillow with bird

When I opened my surprise, I immediately skipped off to the fabric store with yet another surprise I received - a gift card (it was as if the month of February was raining surprises) and bought some beautiful blue fabric.  I had a throw pillow that was looking a little worn and decided to warm up the machine with a simple pillow cover.

how to make a pillow with bird silhouette

I love the envelope pillow case - so easy to sew and so easy to slip on and off pillows.

diy bird pillow

A couple summers ago I made several fabric flowers to pin onto summery dresses...unfortunately I made them too large and their weight pulled my dresses down dangerously.  They lived a sad life in a box until I decided to group them on the new pillow cover to add some interest and texture to my couch. 

bird silhouette pillow

The pillow stayed like this until last night. The month it sad on my couch it just never seemed to fit in and assimilate with the rest of the pillows.  I've been oogling applique projects lately and decided spur of the moment to re-do the pillow. 

I traced a bird onto a scrap piece of paper and used it to cut the fabric out.

make a bird pillow

I pinned the fabric onto the pillow after ironing small hems around the perimeter.

blue bird pillow

I have learned my lesson and will never again applique onto an already created pillow. Ugh, such a pain!  Let's just say there were several times I had to tear out some sticthes because I caught the back of the pillow case.

bird silhouette pillow

I love how it turned out! The white fabric has a white-on-white flowery pattern that adds some interest to the silhouette.

how to make a appliqued pillow

I may still add another branch with some leaves in the upper left...we'll see after I live with the pillow for a few days.

sew bird on pillow

Already I love this little bird more than those flowers. I guess they are headed back to their sad little box until I find another way to use them.

make bird pillow





Check out the Linky Party tab to see what parties I link to regularly!

12 comments:

Becca Bertotti said...

Love the pillow! The added bird silhouette is perfect. I would LOVE to sew ... I have had a brand new sewing machine sitting in my closet for 1 1/2 years! Might have to blow the dust off of it and give it a try (you make it look very easy!) Thanks for sharing and for your sweet note about my sitting room! *Becca* (your newest follower)

Heather said...

Your pillow looks great! So how much are you loving your sewing machine? I've been wanting one soooo bad & am doing my research! :)

Thank you for following me back!! :)

Heather @ Catfish Kisses

Dani said...

Love love love the bird pillow. This is just my style i can see it on my bed now!!

I may have to dig the sewing machine out of the depths of my house for this. hehe.

Glad you got your sewing machine finally, i've never really been one for sewing (i only had the sewing machine for school years ago) Perhaps i'll try and get back in to it. . .when i have the time!!

Crisp Interiors said...

You have such wonderful ideas!! Thanks for stopping by Crisp Interiors. I'm happy to be a BIG fan and new follower :)
-Emily

Very Shannon said...

Ohhh...pretty. I like the bird too. How do you like your machine? Did you choose it or was it a surprise gift?

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

So sweet! I liked the flowers too, but the bird is just lovely!

Kate said...

Both pillows are really cute! I wish I could sew but don't have much patience for it. :) Thanks for linking Flaunt it Friday. I'm featuring you, stop by and grab an I was featured button if you'd like.

April said...

this is adorable! And i love the color! I would love for you to come link up to my Sew Crafty Party !

Debbiedoos said...

Love it! So nice you can sew. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party. Please add my link or button to your actual post:) Thanks...

Unknown said...

Great job! You are becoming more and more like your mother.

Love you

Kim said...

Awesome pillow! Such a delightful blog! Soooo happy to have found you. I'm here from Debbie's Newbie party to welcome you and I'm your newest follower. Pop over for a visit sometime and have a blessed Easter.
xoxo,
Kim

Screaming Meme said...

Loving your blog! I will be adding you to my list of must follows...:) Hi, I'm Meme from Screaming Meme. I am having a giveaway series over @ Screaming Meme...This week is a slipcover. I hope you get a chance to come by and sign up. And remember to check back to see more wonderful giveaways each week...Hope to see you there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...