Wednesday, February 16, 2011

DIY Chalkboard

Whenever John needs something at Home Depot, I jump in the car knowing I'll be spending the next 20 minutes ogling the paint department.  One day while aimlessly daydreaming through the paint aisles  I discovered chalkboard paint.  The daydream playing in my head screeched to a halt and I promptly wondered how I had lived for so long without this amazing product.


Enter Michaels, the land of crafts. I knew I had to use chalkboard paint for something so I made my way to Michaels in search of...well...something. The something I walked away with was a wooden plaque.



Having just gotten married and moved in together, I decided I could create something that John and I used to write notes and hold our keys (I was forever finding John's keys everywhere).

 In order to make it, I bought the spray paint version of Rust-oleum Chalkboard (mainly because it was cheaper and I didn't need too much) and some primer. After spraying 3 coats of chalkboard paint and waiting 24 hours I had John screw in some brass hooks.



It now hangs near our front door to hold keys, dog leashes, and purses. The main purpose it serves, however, is to allow us to write haiku notes to one another.  I only wish I could remember some of the funniest.


Recently it seems chalkboard paint has taken over the painting community. While glancing through photos and brainstorming ways to utilize my leftover paint, I find myself drawn to so many options.

http://www.diyhappy.com/blackboard-idea-globe

How fun would it be to paint a bunch of pots such as this....but in these fun chalkboard colors?!

http://www.askjoeygarr.com/?p=2208















Really, the sky's the limit! What would you do with chalkboard paint? 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd use the paint to
make squares on wine glasses for
no party mixups

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea, I love it! I'm not much of a crafter, but I think this is something I might be able to pull off :) You've got some really wonderful projects on here!

I'm a new follower from Boost My Blog Friday. Have a wonderful weekend!

http://www.mauimompreneur.com/

Onegirlruns said...

okay, so i'm totally spamming your blog with comments tonight, lol. but i do love your blog.

i, too, love rustoleum spray. i've chosen it over roller paint only because it is waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. $6 here as opposed to $25.

you an see what i've done with it on my blog. it's for my childrens' play room.

http://238windsor.blogspot.com/2011/10/playroom-progress.html

http://238windsor.blogspot.com/2011/10/table-and-chairs-recap.html

Anonymous said...

golden goose
off white jordan 1
hermes belts
yeezy outlet
off white shoes
golden goose sale
off white t shirt
yeezy boost 350
bape clothing
bape shoes

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...